Wednesday, April 29, 2009

RAFW Day 1

I've been a bit behind on my RAFW blogging, we're already on the third day and as I write the combined triple bill of White Sands, Kini Bikini and April Marie Swimwear is about to open in half an hour.

Balmain S/S 09

Camilla and Marc S/S 09/10

Camilla and Marc had the honour of opening at 10 am on Monday. The collection stuck to a palette of neutrals: white, grey, soft pink, and black. The garments featured a combination of the structural and the soft and feminine, and an effective amalgamation of fabrics (which allowed for the varying looks). I feel like there was a lot of imitation from the international runways, particularly label-du-jour Balmain, which is evident in the exaggerated shoulders. But nevertheless the clothes were wearable and I'm sure will be successful; the relaxed look is a very Australian aesthetic.

Friedrich Gray's collection was mostly black - an unusual (or innovative?) idea for a Spring/Summer collection, especially in Australia. It makes me wonder if this is at all influenced by the economic climate: black is a failsafe colour. I liked the contrasting fabrics in the garments, particularly the use of leather. The silhouettes were quite average and the designs had minimal embellishments - mainly zippers and seams appeared to be an important feature. But the fact that he showed in an industrial space indicated the pared-back look of the collection.

I hope to catch up with reviewing the rest of the collections soon!

Photos courtesy of www.vogue.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment